FARMHOUSE RENO | ATTIC CLEAN-UP: VACUUMING BETWEEN CEILING JOISTS

What can I say about vacuuming between ceiling joists in the attic that would be remotely interesting?  Any suggestions?

That's what I thought.

Instead, I'll let our video speak for itself and talk about some treasures we found while cleaning.

First up: four foot long hollow glass tubes

Ideas about what these could be used for?  The man who originally built the house in the late 1800s was a photographer. Years ago my mother-in-law found some glass negatives that she donated to our small town historical society so my first thought was maybe they were something used in photography to make the glass negatives.  The only other idea I could come up with that makes any sense is that they're simply stir sticks used in chemistry experiments.  Rob's grandfather was a chemistry teacher and anyone who's a teacher knows that school supplies often end up stored at home in boxes (and in this case maybe the attic).


Next: An old exterior gable decoration

Wooden gable decorations were popular with Queen Anne Victorian houses, which is technically what our house is considered. At one time, these wooden gables were attached to the exterior trim of the house.





This next find was pretty exciting considering my grandparents, great-grandparents, and probably several more generations beyond were from Kentucky.  Rob found a bottle of "Kentucky Bourbon"...distilled in Canada.  As any true Kentuckian will tell you, "If it's not from Kentucky, it ain't bourbon."

Adding insult to injury: the bottle was empty



The last thing we found I managed to catch on video.  I was equal parts horrified and fascinated at the learning potential to be had from it (#youknowyoureahomeschoolerwhen). 
A dead bird, ladies and gentlemen, and not only just a dead bird, but a perfectly skeletonized little dead bird just laying in between the ceiling joists waiting to be discovered and appreciated.  

I appreciate you, little guy

And there you have it! A day consisting of mostly vacuuming and dumping five gallon buckets of junk into larger trash cans that we somehow managed to successfully drag down 32 steps without dumping indoors. The next task on the list is pulling up floor boards from the attic to install insulation over all three bedrooms and an area above a little landing at the top of the stairs (we call it the nook).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our First Video!

You won't BELIEVE what we found while fixing our dryer!

Hey, happy birthday, how about a mammogram?